Monday, October 5, 2009

Lightening Strikes

We spent the weekend in Siem Reap. It was a horrible bus ride. The roads were so bad and of course I had to pick the worst seat on the bus (over the tire) and I was cramped up all the way there and back. The heat was unbelievable and everyone was sweating like they never had before. I finally got some Cambodian clothes - very light cotton. I could not believe the difference in comfort. What was I thinking - wearing those heavier clothes? Took us seven hours to get there and seven back.

HOWEVER - Angkor Wat was something to see. It is the longest temple in the world. I am surprised that it is not on the list of the Seven Wonders of the World. It is not any less of a wonder than the Pharoah's Treasury in Petra, Jordan.

I had been having a terrible time deciding whether to go on to Thailand (as I had planned) or stay here in Cambodia, as I think I will be more comfortable. Every day they kept asking me if I was going to stay or go. I said I was waiting for lightning to strike me and tell me what to do.

So last night I overheard one of the young men say how he wanted to go to Thailand (he had signed up for Viet Nam). I told him he could change his mind if he wanted, but he said that the Thailand quota was already filled up. I could see how much he wanted to go and I knew the other kids who were going to Thailand would much rather have him go with them than me, so I told him he could have my spot and I would stay here in Cambodia. And I really am okay with that. I can always go to Thailand later if I want to. I definitely will go to Thailand, but probably not to teach.

If I had this to do over, I am not sure I would do it by myself. I really feel like a fifth wheel with 27 students in the class and most of them are in their 20s. I am by far the oldest. I told them I would be their mother and keep them in line. One guy is 27, one lady from Australia is 54. One of our teachers is 73. About 5 people are from the UK and one from France and one from Burma (now called Myanmar) which borders Cambodia. Most of the students are 20-something and all college graduates. Talk about feeling out of place. I guess it was this or not come at all. Who knew?

I am not sure how long I will stay here. The humidity is something else, but my room is air conditioned and the school is air conditioned, so one can survive. I hear tell that the public schools are NOT air conditioned, do if I don't get a private school, I may only stay a few months. I hear tell that the hottest months here are January and February - oh goodie!

Once I get an apartment and a new keyboard, I hope to get a blog going so I can put my pictures on it, etc. (Greg will moderate a blog for her in the meantime)

Send mail. I am already homesick.


Love, C

No comments:

Post a Comment